Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Peace That Passes Understanding

So, it's March 22, 2016, and I'm just now posting on the blog for 2016!  To me, it feels like January to March absolutely FLEW by.  We were so busy campaigning that I really didn't even realize I had not posted on the blog until after the election was over.  You may remember that I was running for District Court Judge.  Our Primary was the first Super Tuesday, March 1.  I did not win the election, and I am totally at peace with that.  I'll update in another post about all we did from January to March, but for now, let me talk a little about the peace that passes understanding.

All my life I've heard preachers and other people talk about this peace that passes understanding.  We even sang a song about it when we were little in church.  As I grew older, I learned that it was not just something people say, but actually is from the Bible.  Philippians 4:7 says "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  No one ever quotes the part of the Bible before that, at least not with this verse.  Philippians 4:6 says 

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

Those two verses go together.  First you present your requests to God with thanksgiving, and THEN the peace that passes understanding will guard your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus.  

If you read this blog at all, or follow me on FB, you know that I've been praying for a LONG time about running for judge.  I've talked about it several times, and started seriously considering running in the 2016 election in April 2015.  Since that time, I've prayed over and over that if I was supposed to run that God would make it happen ... money, time, everything.  I had no idea how it would work or if I could do it, but I just kept praying.  After I qualified to run in October 2015, I prayed even harder.  My prayer ALWAYS was that if it was in God's will for me to be the judge, that I would win, and if it was NOT in His perfect will and perfect plan, that I would not win.  I was SO thankful (and still am) that He has a plan, a perfect plan for me, and I thanked him for the way it all unfolded over and over as the campaign went on.  A couple of weeks prior to the election, my pastor and friend prayed in church that if me winning the election would bring the most glory to God, that I would win.  After that, I prayed fervently that whatever needed to happen to bring the most glory to God would be what happened.  Either way, if I didn't win, I was okay with that as long as it brought glory to God.  Honestly, I became a little fearful that He would want me to show others how a believer can lose gracefully, but I forged ahead, thanking, praying, hoping.

I'm not going to lie and say I was not anxious on March 1, but I don't think I was nearly as anxious as I would have been without the Holy Spirit.  It was a nervous anticipation, not anxiety, really.  It's hard to describe.  My family and friends went to eat Mexican food (and have a margarita!) while we waited on the results to come in from the different polling places.  When the first boxes reported, and I was losing by a large margin, I knew in my heart that I had lost.  AND I HAD PEACE.  As more boxes came in and it was clear that another person would be the winner, I had more and more peace even though I was a tad disappointed.  I went to the courthouse where many candidates were gathered to watch the results come in, to find the winner and congratulate him.  I didn't have a single tear in my eye, as I shook his hand and told him congratulations.  Then he took me out into the hallway and told me that it had stuck with him throughout the campaign, that I told him at the beginning that I had prayed about running.  And then he asked if he could pray with me right then.  Of course I said yes, and then the tears started.  It was such a graceful thing to do, and so kind, that it just made me very emotional.  I left the courthouse and prayed all the way home, thanking God that His will was done, and His perfect plan was happening.  I got home and got to explain to Fitz that God's will is best, and sometimes his plan is not the same as ours and how that's perfectly fine.  I answered a zillion texts and FB messages, and thanked God over and over for answering my prayers.  I made a FB post on my campaign page and it ended up reaching over 9,000 people...talk about bringing glory to the Father!  Most of my campaign posts reached around 1,200 people, at most 3,500, but this one, giving God glory, reached over 9,000!!! Praise the Lord!

The next day, my secretary and I went around picking up signs and I took a 2 hour nap and relaxed and it was amazing.  I had a perfect peace in my heart and mind.  Over the next few days, several people asked how I was doing, and then some told me to "keep your head up."  I was seriously confused.  Why did they think I would be so upset?  Why did they think I would be depressed or hang my head about it?  I still have a fabulous job that I love, a relationship with the creator of the universe, a loving husband and family and awesome friends. None of that changed, and I was at PEACE.  And that's when it hit me, what I have is THE PEACE THAT PASSES UNDERSTANDING.  They can not understand it because maybe they don't have it, or have never experienced it, and let me tell you friends, this is a peace you want.  It is so freeing to give it all to God and just trust him and let him handle it.  He knows what he is doing, and I can not wait to see what he has in store for my life.  If you don't know this peace, and you don't know Jesus, and want to know Him and have this peace that he freely gives, please contact me anytime.  I would love to share HIS LOVE with you!

I'll be back soon with more blog posts about all you've missed in the past couple of months, but I just felt like I had to share that.  I hope you all have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Love you, friend! It was so much fun watching you campaign and to see how excited and how passionate you were about it. It is just as much fun to read these posts and see how God is working in and around you in all things!!

    ReplyDelete